"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others,
as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."
• 1 Peter 4:10 •

Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Craftiness Continues...

The other day I had this idea pop in to my head to make a "welcome" sign with our last name on it - I've got the PERFECT place to hang it {details coming on that in another post}. I could see it in my head, but the challenge was finding all the pieces to make it real.

Here's how the project unfolded:

1) I dug around on this fabulous site and found free letter photography for our last name.

2) I printed out my letters and grabbed some scrap boards (purposely chose ones that were all exactly the same size) from our firewood pile out back {thanks Jacki & Jason for your fence scraps!}.



3) Next, I picked up some smoke gray Krylon spray paint at the local Hardware Hank {where everyone is so ridiculously helpful - I just LOVE them} and began spray painting the individual pieces.







4) While I was at the hardware store I also picked up a pack of mending braces to secure the 5 boards together so they could be hung in one piece. Once I had a decent coat of paint on each piece, I secured the 5 boards together using the braces and then sprayed on one more coat of paint.





5) Next, I trimmed down my letter photos and used mod podge to adhere them to the boards. I applied a couple of coats {while watching Parenthood - have I mentioned that's my FAVORITEST show ever?} just to give it a nice finished look.



6) The last thing I did was I used some black furniture nails in the corners of each letter photo as accents.




And voila! There it is - my finished welcome sign...pretty darn close to what I'd envisioned in my wacky head. I'll probably throw a couple of hanging brackets on the back or some wire to hang it with, but I figured I wouldn't bore you with those details...so - project complete. Now...just have to wait until the end of the month to hang it in that perfect spot I mentioned. Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment