"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others,
as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."
• 1 Peter 4:10 •

Friday, January 27, 2012

A Thrifting We Will Go

Today was a whirlwind of client meetings and running errands. While I was out and about I stumbled upon this FABULOUS thrift store. Oh my goodness. When I walked in, the first thing I saw was a stack of old Saturday Evening Post magazines. EEEK!!! I started paging through them and the graphic design nerd in me was loving all the old ad layouts.

I snatched up a couple of them and moved along. Next I found some gorgeous antique books. For some reason I've always loved old stuff. I'm not sure if it's the history that intrigues me or what, but I was mesmerized paging through all the shelves of old books. And having a background in the print industry, I couldn't help but notice all the special details of each book - the type of paper that was used, the old type that was used on the front covers, the ink coloring for the cover designs...so many details to absorb!! I decided to grab a couple of them because ya just never know when you might want to throw a few old books on a shelf for decoration, right? The two I chose were these ones:
Check out the fantastic detailing on the spine of one of the books:
 And on the inside, one of them had an inscription that read, "To Idella Saltvig for perfect spelling - "1913". Wow, that's old!
As I looked more closely once I got home I found this tiny copyright disclaimer on the bottom corner - Copyright 1911. Again, wow!
Since I love typography, I couldn't help but admire the neat font that was used for this book's cover:
Okay, enough about the books...but they are pretty stinkin' cool, aren't they? Well just when I thought it couldn't get any better, I turned the corner and found another fun old hard-sided suitcase. Yipee! I think the classic colors are super cool.
There were a few other things I picked up, too, but they weren't really blog worthy. :) Now, here's the best part...the price breakdown:

• The Saturday Evening Post - $1.99 each

• Antique Books - $1.99 each

• Vintage Suitcase - $0.99 (can you even believe it???)

All in all, I think it's safe to say, I had a very successful shopping experience. And I now also have a new favorite thrift store to add to my list!

0 comments:

Post a Comment