"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others,
as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."
• 1 Peter 4:10 •

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bedroom Makeover

This is something that actually happened over the summer, but whatever - I'm just now getting my act together and am ready to share about it. So, we built our house about 9.5 years ago and the very first room we ever painted was our bedroom. We've had hodgepodge furniture from craigslist and a bed headboard/footboard/frame from JC Penney that we bought because that's all we could afford when we first got married. Well, this summer we finally bit the bullet and decided to get ourselves some ADULT bedroom furniture (and a new mattress set...which we ended up WINNING as part of the Mattress Giant "Bed-a-Day" giveaway - CRAZINESS). We shopped at every furniture store we could think of after looking around online and finding something we loved. Unfortunately, the set we found online came with a $4,800+ price tag - definitely NOT in the budget of a teacher & freelance graphic designer. After shopping at about 8 different stores I was at my wits end, ready to just be happy with our "pieced-together-like-a-college-dorm-room" bedroom. My husband suggested we stop by Slumberland because it was on our way home. I've typically NOT been a fan of Slumberland because I feel like many of their styles are outdated and not really my taste. I reluctantly agreed and got out of the car after we parked. We opened the door and I kid you not - it was as if there was a light shining down from heaven on the first set we saw inside the front door. It was magical, really. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but the set was ridiculously similar to my "dream" bedroom set I'd seen online...and at less than HALF the price. Wowsers. The set was pretty much sold the second we opened the front doors, but after we completed the necessary paperwork, we finally headed home happy with our findings. Once we got home I started to panic a bit about how much money we'd just spent (even though I knew we'd been saving for it). So the next couple of weeks while we waited for the furniture to come I went on a clearance bin shopping spree to find pieces that would coordinate for our new room. It really is crazy the deals you can find if you really know how to bargain shop. So, without further adieu, here are the before and after pictures:



And here is our newly painted & decorated bedroom (still need to put a few more things on a couple of walls, but this is close enough):






Beautiful custom made-to-match-our-color-palette café mounted artwork from Red Letter Ink (another artistic venture of mine):
When I was little, my Grandma Grace had this cute little jewelry dish that sat on top of her dresser and I always thought it was so fun to stand and look at all of her jewelry - now I have my very own!! :)
Love my necklace with my two kidlet's names on it!

Now for the fun part...the breakdown on the various decór pieces:

• Nightstand distressed teardrop candle holders - $4.98 (larger ones)/$2.48 (smaller ones) (70% off clearance - from Target)
• Circular Metal Wall Art above the headboard - $39.99 (with a giftcard from Pier1)
• Round nightstand "runners" (they're actually place mats) - $1.99 each (Bed Bath & Beyond)
• Set of circle mirrors above dresser - $19.99 (with a $5 giftcard from Target)
• Circular pattern curtain set - $17.99/panel (on sale 60% off from JC Penney)
• Jewelry holder (actually a candle holder) - $4.99 (on clearance - with a giftcard from Pier1)
• Vase, rocks & reeds on dresser - $12.99 (on clearance - with a giftcard from Pier1)
• 3 Accent Pillows on Bed - $21.99 for all three (60% off from Kohl's)
• Runner on dresser - $7.99 (on clearance - from Marshall's)

And there ya have it, folks, our bedroom re-done! I absolutely LOVE walking in to our room now - hip, hip, hooray for a matching bedroom that I can't get enough of!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment